International Medical School at La Sapienza, University of Rome • Login or Register

Rome, Milan and Pavia: comparison of the english med courses

at our University in Rome, La Sapienza
Forum rules
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER
1) This section of the forum is accessible to everyone and is meant simply to encourage contacts between applicants and enrolled students.
2) This forum is managed by the students, not by the University.
3) The students cannot be hold responsible for any possible kind of incorrect information present on this forum.
4) You are encouraged to double check the information with those present on the official websites of La Sapienza University of Rome.

> 24th Jan 16 update: new registered users need to be accepted by admin first. This is a countermeasure against spam messages.

Re: ROME, MILAN and PAVIA: comparison of the english med cou

Postby Monica » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:04 pm

I'm from the states and am doing my first year. Ok, so comparing our med school to American med school is apples and oranges - we have a 6-year program that includes the pre-med portion that is done in college in the states, and our admissions system is swift and transparent unlike the American program. And let's not even get into the cost. There are 5 Americans in my class.

But that's off-topic, since your question is regarding the various universities in Italy and not Italy vs. America.

Our program is great, especially for the teacher-student ratio. Our profs are used to teaching in giant lecture halls with hundreds of students fighting for spots, so getting to our classroom with 30 people is a great change of pace for them. They really manage to answer questions and interact with the small class much better.

Regarding the city,
Pro: climate. Amazing. We've just now started wearing coats, and will be getting rid of them by mid-march. The fog in Milan can really get you down in the winter.
Pro: the Romans can really be open, welcoming people if you are open with them.
Pro: the flexibility of the Italian system. After jumping through all their hoops to get into the program, once you're in they really do try to make it work for you. It's not a sink-or-swim environment - and that goes for the city as well as the program. If you ask, there's always someone to help.
Con: organization of the city. The main example is usually public transport, but that can easily be resolved by finding a room or apartment that's in a well-connected area. You really have to look at the transit options where you choose to live. Or you could do what I did and just get a scooter - a total life-saver!!! That solves all your problems here.

In any case, I don't deny that I'm biased, but I feel like that's normal since this is the city and the university that I ultimately CHOSE over the others.

Princess, is you need info specifically about coming over from North America, send me a private message

Postby MarziaP » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:49 am

Adrina wrote:Hi Rita,
I am wondering about the organisation of Milan and Pavia and Rome. how do they differ from each other ?

I know i'm not Rita :) But what do you mean by organization? Of the uni/program/city?

Postby EdoardoTB » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:50 pm

I am talking about the curriculum.

About the curriculum, you find the link on the menu on the left of the page. "About the course" -> "Course curriculum"
As you may see, the overall organization of the exams is very similar to the italian course.

About the proficiency of the language, I created a new topic: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=261&p=729#p729
Edoardo, 4th medical student (now spending my 4th year abroad!)

Postby Anthony Tse » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:17 pm

Adrina wrote:I am taking about the curriculum. I am currently attending the San Raffaele's course. I got a place in Napoli but I resigned since it is considered not to be so good. And in this year maybe I will apply once more and choose la sapienza as a first choice uni. However, I do not know if your course is so well organised as the one at san raffaele. Do the teachers speak English fluently? Do they follow the Italian program or the American one?

I firstly want to hear what you say...
So what is your opinion on San Raffaele then (organization, level of English, the program)?
If what you say is true (so well organised as the one at san raffaele), why would you want to switch?

Your comments would be most valuable to us, so thanks in advance

Re: Rome, Milan and Pavia: comparison of the english med cou

Postby EdoardoTB » Mon May 04, 2015 1:28 pm

Any medical degree in Italy is recognised throughout Europe.

If you want to work abroad (e.g. USA), you need to see what is required to European students to become eligible.
Edoardo, 4th medical student (now spending my 4th year abroad!)

PreviousNext

Return to Our MD program