International Medical School at La Sapienza, University of Rome • Login or Register

Getting a job

Forum rules
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER
1) This section of the forum is accessible to everyone and is meant simply to encourage contacts between applicants and enrolled students.
2) This forum is managed by the students, not by the University.
3) The students cannot be hold responsible for any possible kind of incorrect information present on this forum.
4) You are encouraged to double check the information with those present on the official websites of La Sapienza University of Rome.

> 24th Jan 16 update: new registered users need to be accepted by admin first. This is a countermeasure against spam messages.

Getting a job

Postby irene » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:55 am

Hello everybody!
Nice to meet you all-even virtually :) .
I just wanted to ask you, is it easy to get a job in Italy as a non-Italian speaker? I started studying italian in order to be able to communicate with the locals and I hope I will be in a good level by the time I'll move there but still...I will not speak fluently (obviously). I hope I can be transfered from my current job to a project there but, in case I can't, is there a website/something where I can start looking for jobs for english speakers? Any information would help!

Thanks!!!

Re: Getting a job

Postby EdoardoTB » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:26 pm

If you don't know Italian, you have limited options... Some of my colleagues, for example, work as English teachers (they are native). Otherwise, I woudn't know... There are also some options within the University (e.g. international office).
Edoardo, 4th medical student (now spending my 4th year abroad!)

Postby medic.hopeful » Sun May 03, 2015 9:02 am

Hey Edoardo, so on a scale of 1-10 if you know a little Italian, how easy is it to get a comfortable job whilst studying?

and if so are the Hello office jobs the only ones available? Thanks in advance

Postby EdoardoTB » Mon May 04, 2015 1:27 pm

Is your question about how easy is to combine work and medical studies?

I cannot really answer because I am a full time student.

Obviously it depends on the type of work, the number of hours per week and how you plan your day. Maybe if you are working on weekends, about 10 hours per week, it might work.

Going back to your first question, on a scale from 1 to 10, with 1 being super easy and 10 being impossible, I would say: 7

There are a variety of jobs at La Sapienza. They are basically at the numerous offices in our University (CIAO and HELLO offices are just two). You can also do the librarian: about 160 hours throughout the year for around 1200 euros.

The work demand is greater than the actual offer. Therefore, you may not find a spot. Selection criteria are based upon academic results, with the best students being allocated first.
Edoardo, 4th medical student (now spending my 4th year abroad!)

Return to Our life in Rome