International Medical School at La Sapienza, University of Rome • Login or Register

honest opinion

at our University in Rome, La Sapienza
Forum rules
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER
1) This section of the forum is accessible to everyone and is meant simply to encourage contacts between applicants and enrolled students.
2) This forum is managed by the students, not by the University.
3) The students cannot be hold responsible for any possible kind of incorrect information present on this forum.
4) You are encouraged to double check the information with those present on the official websites of La Sapienza University of Rome.

> 24th Jan 16 update: new registered users need to be accepted by admin first. This is a countermeasure against spam messages.

Re: honest opinion

Postby EdoardoTB » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:36 pm

Hello Marte,

there's a lot of dispute to be honest. Some students are satisfied, others aren't.

I start with the bad news:

I personally believe that there's a lot to improve, especially in terms of organization: if you think for example that we had to set up this forum because visibility of our course over the internet is lacking. Applicants can hardly find any detailed piece of information about our course and international students have an hard time to overcome all the legal issues (embassy, transcripts, visa and shit like that) to become eligible to enrol because there's not a clear, well structured and comprehensive guide available. It's a fact. Unfortunately, this is mostly a consequence of the overall poor organization of the Universities and especially the Ministry of Education and Research. Just to make you another example, until a couple of years ago, the competition announcement for a international medical school was published in italian only, even though the official language of the course was English and the whole project was mostly set up for foreign applicants. This simply does not make sense. However, it is strictly prohibited to publish an unofficial translation of an official document. As a result, only those students who were able to understand our language were able to go through the application process successfully. This precise problem affected all English medical courses in Italy because it was beyond the single University. It was our Government fault. Fortunately, this is no longer the case!

Then you cannot imagine how hard was for a disabled UK student to find out how to get his health condition recognized by our national health system. Probably and sadly he just gave up. I personally went to the office for disabled students to try to help him out and those folks basically told me that they had no clue on how a foreigner could have hir/her health condition recognized in our country. So, if you are not disabled, these difficulties do not apply for you.

Tha take-home message is: in Italy few things are running smoothly. Everything gets unnecessarily and stupidly overcomplicated.

Now with the good news:

However, things have been improving considerably, so I believe that your experience with the course will be much better than ours. This aspect is absolutely understandable, since all these English medical courses in Italy are very recent.

Moreover, our course is becoming more and more prestigious. The very best Professors of our University are said to be willing to give lectures in our course and we do have already very good Professors, even though not all of them are proficient in English and this may sometimes make it a little bit harder for you to follow their lectures. However, this applies to all English medical courses in Italy, since English is not our native language and its proficiency is something that only a moderate percentage of people in our country possesses. Then, the founder of our course has now become the rector of the whole University: this fact may (or may not, it depends) provide some kinds of advantage to the improvement of our course.

Besides, we are just 43 students. We are absolutely an elite if you think that - on average - a medical course counts 150-200 students each academic year.

Then, the fees can be ridiculously low (compared to European Universities) if you come from a low-income family or a developing country: as low as few hundred euros per year! To a maximum of about 3000 euros/year. In UK it's 9000 pounds/year. On the other hand, accommodations in Rome are very expensive (compared to small towns like Pavia).

And a couple of other advantages... the beauty of the city and a temperate climate...

I hope that this was an un-biased and comprehensive review of our MD program and I hope that some other my colleagues will write their own review.
Should you come to Rome anytime, you may meet with me if you wish.

Best regards,
Edoardo
Edoardo, 4th medical student (now spending my 4th year abroad!)

Re: honest opinion

Postby EdoardoTB » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:30 pm

Edoardo, 4th medical student (now spending my 4th year abroad!)

Return to Our MD program